Today I made one of my all time favorite bundles of awesomeness: OMeGa Powerballs. I originally created this recipe in order to have a quick, easy-to-eat breakfast jam-packed with nutrients for my kiddos. However, they very instantly became a love of mine ... I have to watch myself, as when I eat these I seem to have no "off button"! (hence the OMG!)
So what makes these balls so powerful and awesome? Well for starters, it is loaded with tons of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and omegas from the nuts, quinoa, flax, and seeds smashed up in each little ball. To top it off, they are even blessed with Ancient Aztec warrior strength and stamina through the addition of tiny chia seeds.
I try my best to fuel my kids with foods that will balance their physical and mental health, and help them grow. As you "Autism Mommies" know, this is not always an easy task; our children can be quite self limiting in their food selections and very resistant to new foods! Having a little power packed ball that easily fits in their hands and can be devoured in a couple bites ... something to smile about! They don't know every cell in their body will be singing praises as they are flooded with essential, healing nutrients ... but you do!
Go ahead and tell them it is a "cookie ball" (Sure tastes like one!). I always seem to get the best results with my boys when I twist the name into something favorable or sell them on their desired outcome ... "It will help you become a strong ninja." (Not far from the truth!)
Just another trick for your trade.
(I revised a recipe from www.gimmesomeoven.com so that it would adhere to my son's allergy profile and be organic and packed with the most nutrients!)
What You Need
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 2/3 cups toasted organic coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup organic almond butter/cashew butter
- 1/3 cup organic flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup organic pumpkin seeds (roasted, salted, or raw)
- 1/2 cup allergy-free enjoy life chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup local honey
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup/organic agave (optional)
- 4 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do
- Grab a big mixing bowl and a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350'.
- Scatter the organic coconut onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Try to flip it a bit halfway. (Keep your eye on it as it can quickly become a black, stinky, burnt mess!)
- Start filling the mixing bowl with the ingredients. Use a spoon to mix all the ingredients together until evenly blended.
- Place bowl into the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Use a spoon to lift just enough of the mixture out to make the desired sized OMeGa Powerball. Roll the extracted mix into a ball until no more mixture remains, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- These balls are great for a quick breakfast, treat, or a mid-day boost!